Ask Ann: Other Little Things
Dear Ann -
Of all the ‘other things’ than just running to train and prepare for & racing ultras, what single thing should one add to one’s regimen?
I could not stop with just one single thing. The best I could do is the following – Ann’s list of little ultra nothings that make a difference in a successful ultra run.
1. The training secret: Sleep.
2. The ultimate training secret: More Sleep.
3. It is a team sport (really): Be kind to your crew, pacer & family.
4. Stop wasting your time: Hard training without easy recovery is a waste of time – Fitness = adaptations that occur during recovery from training stress…no recovery, no improved fitness.
5. Just another day: Race day is just another (well-rested) day on the trails.
6. Use the tried and true, not something new on race day.
7. Even if the shoes fit…Foot pain? Toes jamming? Try adjusting your shoelaces.
8. Ice is your friend: in your bottle; in your bladder; in your bra; in your kerchief; in your hat.
9. You can’t bank time, but you sure can waste it.
10. Early on ask: “can I really maintain this pace all the way to the finish line?” If the answer is no, why are you going so fast: SLOW DOWN.
11. Grab and go: Have someone fill you bladder/ bottles while you fill a small plastic bag with food and grab a drink, then head out and eat on the go.
12. One minute rule: One minute per aid station is the goal. Assign a crew member to call out to you every 30 seconds you’re in the station.
I challenge you Gale to come up with your own list. The longer your own list is, the more successful you will be!