Arnstein, Wilcox Win Vermont 100
West Windsor, Vermont, July 17. Michael Arnstein of New York City overtook course-record holder Leigh Schmitt in the last 10 miles to win the 23rd annual Vermont 100. Schmitt and Justin Angle had led for most of the race, with Schmitt pulling ahead after 76 miles. Soon thereafter, Schmitt suffered from bouts of nausea and Arnstein made his move. Arnstein, who bills himself as "The Fruitarian", gets about 90% of his calories from fruit, with the balance from raw vegetables.
Cambridge, Vermont's Serena Wilcox won the women's race, pulling away from former winner Mary Churchill after 40 miles.
1. Michael Arnstein, 34, New York, NY, 15:26:20
2. Leigh Schmitt, 38, Healdsburg, CA, 15:34:08
3. Brian Rusiecki, 32, Westfield, MA, 15:53:50
4. Justin Angle, 36, Seattle, WA, 16:38:12
5. Bob Ayers, Jr, 50, Colchester, VT, 17:18:58
1. Serena Wilcox, 32, Cambridge, VT, 18:09:46
2. Mary Churchill, 35, Sausalito, CA, 19:20:30
3. Amy Lane, 31, Westfield, MA, 19:48:48
4. Kathleen Cusick, 36, Knoxville, TN, 20:20:48
5. Lori Wetzel, 38, Danvers, MA, 20:33:23
Complete results are available at http://www.barttiming.com/summer/results11/VT100-11-1.pdf
Photo at left: Serena Wilcox at the Vermont 100 (Aliza Lapierre photo)