Bowman and Africa Win at Miwok
Stinson Beach, California, May 4. Dylan Bowman and Darcy Africa won the Miwok 100K, which was shortened to about 38 miles due to a park closure. A week of hot, dry weather resulted in park officials closing the northern part of Mt. Tamalpais State Park just hours before the race, citing concerns over risk of wildfires.
Race Director Tia Bodington scrambled to get permission to conduct a shorter event on the second half of the course, which traversed parkland that remained open. The start of the race was delayed three hours to get race volunteers in place.
Since the park closure decision was not made until late Friday evening, most runners didn’t get word until they showed up for the scheduled 5 a.m. start, when Bodington announced that the race would be shortened and would start at 8 a.m. Many runners slept in their cars, and many others went for a two-hour “warm up” run to kill the time.
1. Dylan Bowman, 26, San Francisco, CA, 4:49:56
2. Gary Gellin, 44, Menlo Park, CA, 4:56:33
3. Christopher Wehan, 31, Santa Cruz, CA, 5:04:12
4. Ian Sharman, 32, Walnut Creek, CA, 5:15:07
5. Michael Stadnisky, 30, Ashland, OR, 5:22:33
1. Darcy Africa, 38, Boulder, CO, 6:05:08
2. Christi Nowak, 25, St. Paul, MN, 6:15:36
3. Helen Cospolich, 35, Breckenridge, CO, 6:18:30
4. Nikki Dinger, 36, Phoenix, OR, 6:35:06
5. Kristina Pattison, 32, Missoula, MT, 6:42:04
Photo at left: Dylan Bowman at the top of Deer Park, with 3 miles to go.
Photo at right: Darcy Africa in the shade of the redwoods.
(Photos by John Medinger)