Chorier, Finkel Win at Hardrock
Silverton, Colorado, July 10. Julien Chorier of France won the Hardrock 100 in 25:17, leading wire to wire. Taking advantage of generally favorable weather, Chorier posted the second fastest ever counter-clockwise direction time, despite heavy snow conditions and a course detour after Telluride that added about 2 extra miles. Dakota Jones and Nick Clark waged a fierce battle for second, with Jones pulling away in the final 11 miles. Defending champion Jared Campbell dropped out at Telluride, mile 72.7, and five-time winner Karl Meltzer called it quits at Chapman, mile 81.6.
Diana Finkel won the women's race for the fourth consecutive year, holding off a late charge by Darcy Africa. Africa led in the early stages, with Finkel taking the lead coming off Handies Peak at around mile 40. Finkel gradually extended her lead to an hour at the KT Aid Station, mile 89, before Africa's late surge narrowed the gap to just 19 minutes at the finish.
1. Julien Chorier, 31, St Thibaud de Couz, France, 25:17
2. Dakota Jones, 21, Durango, CO, 27:10
3. Nick Clark, 37, Fort Collins, CO, 27:43
4. Daniel Levy, 33, Antibes, France, 28:57
5. Joe Grant, 28, Lafayette, CO, 29:38
1. Diana Finkel, 40, South Fork, CO, 29:27
2. Darcy Africa, 36, Boulder, CO, 29:46
3. Betsy Nye, 46, Truckee, CA, 39:17
4. Tina Ure, 52, Mt Shasta, CA, 41:58
5. Tara Burton, 38, Colorado Springs, CO, 42:14
Of the 140 starters, 80 completed the course within the 48-hour time limit. Complete results are available at http://ultrarun.net/HR100/CourseRunRank/Live
Photo at left: Julien Chorier (courtesy julienchorier.com)