Dakota Jones Wins Transvulcania
La Palma, Canary Islands, May 12. Dakota Jones bested a star-studded international field in winning the Transvulcania Ultra, a mountainous 83-km trail race in the Canary Islands that kicks off the European Sky Racing series. Jones pulled away from Kilian Jornet and Andy Symonds on a 12-mile, 7000 foot downhill and then held off Symonds on the final climb for the victory.
Anna Frost of New Zealand cruised to an easy win on the women's side.
1. Dakota Jones, 21, Durango, CO, 6:59:07 (course record, old record 7:32:12 by Miguel Herás, 2011)
2. Andy Symonds, 31, Dunfermline, Scotland, 7:00:34
3. Kilian Jornet, 24, Puigcerdá, Spain, 7:09:53
4. Francois D’Haene, 36, Florac, France, 7:23:40
5. Iker Karrera, 37, Guipúzcoa, Spain, 7:38:58
1. Anna Frost, 30, Dunedin, New Zealand, 8:11:30 (course record, old record 10:00:03 by Mónica Aguilera, 2011)
2. Núria Picas Albets, 35, Berga, Spain, 8:51:59
3. Nikki Kimball, 40, Bozeman, MT, 9:10:00
4. Darcy Africa, 37, Boulder, CO, 9:17:35
5. Uxue Fraile Azpeitia, 38, Guipúzcoa, Spain, 9:21:11
Photo at left courtesy Oxígeno
Right and below, courtesy La Voz de la Palma