Hauth, Morris Win at Quad Dipsea
Mill Valley, California, November 28. Chris Hauth and Karalee Morris were winners at the 27th annual Quad Dipsea race today. Hauth, a former Olympic swimmer and professional triathlete, was a master of pacing, running the four legs of the race in 60, 60, 61, and 61 minutes, in clocking a winning time of 4:01:59. Victor Ballesteros closed fast for second place. Ballesteros was in sixth at the half-way point.
Morris, second in the women's race last year, improved by 15 minutes to win comfortably over Caren Spore. The race route is an unusual one, featuring long stretches of stairs - 671 of them in the first half mile alone - and 9200 feet of climb packed into 28.4 miles.
1. Chris Hauth, 38, Mill Valley, CA, 4:01:59
2. Victor Ballesteros, 39, San Rafael, CA, 4:15:37
3. Van McCarty, 39, San Luis Obispo, CA, 4:16:02
4. Jonathan Kimura, 29, Cupertino, CA, 4:23:59
5. Cameron Berg, 27, Palo Alto, CA, 4:25:27
1. Karalee Morris, 31, Folsom, CA, 4:47:00
2. Caren Spore, 41, Davis, CA, 5:07:55
3. Marla Moresi-Valdes, 36, San Francisco, CA, 5:23:29
4. (tie) Kim Kortz, 45, Folsom, CA, 5:28:28
4. (tie) Florencia Gascon-Amyx, 45, Mill Valley, CA, 5:28:28