Humphrey Wins at Cascade Crest
Easton, Washington, August 26. Jeremy Humphrey of McCall, Idaho won the Cascade Crest Classic 100, posting the second fastest time in the event's 14 year history. Humphrey took the lead in the first few miles and was never headed. Joshua Arthur finished second, more than 90 minutes behind.
Hannah Roberts caught early leader Missy Gosney on the climb up to Kecheelus Ridge at mile 60 and maintained a small lead through the "Trail from Hell" section over to Mineral Creek aid station at mile 74. Gosney caught back up on the long climb to No Name Ridge (mile 81) and the two ran together from there to the finish. Jennifer Edwards held off a late challenge from Clare Abram to take third.
1. Jeremy Humphrey, 33, McCall, ID, 18:31:06
2. Joshua Arthur, 25, Butte, CO, 20:07:52
3. Jason Hynd, 37, Oak Harbor, WA, 20:13:54
4. Phil Shaw, 26, Oakland, CA, 20:57:02
5. Tyler Waterhouse, 31, Salt Lake City, UT, 21:25:32
1 (tie). Missy Gosney, 45, Durango, CO, and Hannah Roberts, 25, Honolulu, HI, 23:48:30
3. Jennifer Edwards, 37, Olympia, WA, 24:16:35
4. Clare Abram, 41, San Carlos, CA, 24:27:34
5. Van Phan, 41, Maple Valley, WA, 25:34:59
Runners were treated to ideal weather, with temperatures hitting the mid-60s during the afternoon hours under partly cloudy skies.
Photo: Ronda Sundermeier descends from Thorpe Mountain at dawn during the 2009 Cascade Crest Classic, in a shot that shows the great beauty of the northern Cascades. (Glenn Tachiyama photo)
Complete results are available at http://ultraresults.net/cc100/pages/overall_results.php?ek=jLC7OT2bBm