Ian Sharman Destroys Record at Rocky Raccoon 100
Huntsville, Texas, February 5. Ian Sharman, a British subject living in California, posted a dazzling 12:44:35 course record at the Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Run. Sharman beat a deep and talented field. Zach Gingerich, who would drop at mile 60, lead for the first lap, then Sharman took over. Anton Krupicka, Hal Koerner, Scott Jurek, Michael Arnstein and Mike Wolfe were together in a chase pack for many miles, with Krupicka and Koerner pulling away mid-race and staying together through mile 80.
Defending champion Liza Howard of San Antonio won the women's race easily, finishing the five 20-mile laps before the second place woman had finished four. In defending her championship, Howard bested her 2010 winning time by 12 minutes.
Runners had ideal weather, clear and 25F at the start, warming to the upper 50s by afternoon.
1. Ian Sharman, 30, San Jose, CA, 12:44:35 (course record, old record 13:16:02 by Eric Clifton, 1996)
2. Anton Krupicka, 27, Boulder, CO, 13:18:52
3. Hal Koerner, 35, Ashland, OR, 13:26:19
4. Karl Meltzer, 44, Sandy, UT, 14:27:20
5. Brad Reed, Northampton, MA, 27, 15:58:28
1. Liza Howard, 39, San Antonio, TX, 15:33:09
2. Brenda Carawan, 34, Virginia Beach, VA, 22:36:31
3. Terri Pfeil, 44, Boulder, CO, 23:16:09
4. Lisa DeYoung, 43, Winston-Salem, NC, 23:32:23
5. Julie Grant, 26, Lewisville, TX, 23:34:13
Photo at left. Ian Sharman finishing last year's Western States 100 (Joe McCladdie photo)
Photo at right. Liza Howard running in her backyard with her son, Asa (courtesy timesunion.com)