Italy's Cudin Wins Spartathlon
Sparta, Greece. Ivan Cudin of Italy won the annual Spartathlon race. The route re-traces that run by the legendary Pheidippides, who ran the 245km from Athens to Sparta to request help when the Persians landed in Marathon, Greece. The top American finisher was Kathy Youngren of Alabama, who finished 44th in 33:35:06. She was fifth place among the women.
1. Ivan Cudin, Italy, 23:03:06
2. Jan Albert Lantink, Netherlands, 23:31:22
3. Jan Prochaska, Germany, 24:55:58
1. Emily Gelder, Great Britain, 30:17:03
2. Masumi Yoshimura, Japan, 32:32:41
3. Heather Foundling-Hawker, Great Britain, 32:43:24