Callahan, Howard Win Leadville Trail 100
Leadville, Colorado, August 22. Duncan Callahan of Gunnison, Colorado won the 28th annual Leadville Trail 100 in a time of 17:43:24. Anton Krupicka of Boulder, Colorado led the race from the early stages and achieved a lead of more than an hour at mile 76 but began to experience problems and dropped at the Mae Queen aid station, mile 86.5. He was treated for hypoglycemia and hypothermia. It was the second consecutive year that Krupicka, who won here in 2007 and 2008, dropped for medical reasons while leading. Callahan assumed the lead a couple of miles before Mae Queen and won comfortably.
Liza Howard of San Antonio, Texas was the women's winner, more than an hour ahead of Stephanie Jones of Colorado Springs.
The race had 642 starters and 363 finishers, both records by a significant margin. 99 runners won the coveted "El Plato Grande" belt buckle for finishing in less than 25 hours. Bill Finkbeiner of Auburn, California finished in 27:39:29. It was Finkbeiner's 27th consecutive finish at Leadville.
1. Duncan Callahan, 27, Gunnison, CO, 17:43:24
2. Zeke Tiernan, 34, Carbondale, CO, 18:25:30
3. Dylan Bowman, 24, Aspen, CO, 18:36:15
4. Neal Gorman, 33, Washington, DC, 18:47:54
5. Jeff Beuche, 35, Boulder, CO, 18:58:36
1. Liza Howard, San Antonio, TX, 21:19:47
2. Stephanie Jones, 40, Colorado Springs, CO, 22:35:05
3. Ashley Arnold, 23, Carbondale, CO, 23:08:16
4. Sus Brozik, 43, Albuquerque, NM, 23:23:49
5. Andrea Metz, 24, Wausau, WI, 23:34:35