Medina and Larkindale Win at San Diego 100
Mt Laguna, California, June 13. Guillermo Medina and Jane Larkindale were winners of the re-constituted San Diego 100 Mile Endurance Run. Medina took the lead from Jon Lawler at about mile 74 and finished 12 minutes clear of Brian Polley for the win. Lawler, running his first 100 miler, finished third.
Larkindale was in command from the beginning, and finished fifth overall in a very strong performance. The re-designed course, located in the mountains about 45 minutes east of San Diego, was a big hit with the runners even though it was generally considered to be more difficult than either of the previous routes. Of the 149 starters, 90 finished within the 31-hour time limit.
1. Guillermo Medina, 35, Santa Maria, CA, 18:59:07
2. Brian Polley, 39, Ventura, CA, 19:11:05
3. Jon Lawler, Knoxville, TN, 19:28:21
4. Eric Wickland, 28, Agoura Hills, CA, 20:27:55
5. Dan Lehnberg, 49, Torrance, CA, 22:03:40
1. Jane Larkindale, 35, Tucson, AZ, 20:49:40
2. Renee Roberds, 45, San Elijo, CA, 22:12:35
3. Julie Fingar, 34, Granite Bay, CA, 22:42:50
4. Kara Scarbrough, 34, Yuma, AZ, 23:44:23
5. Doone Watson, 53, Calgary, AB, 23:51:43
Photo at left: Bruce Grant of British Columbia approaches the Stonewall Mine aid station at mile 58 (Lisa Henson photo)
Photo below left: UltraRunning columnist Gary Dudney crosses the spectacular Big Laguna Meadow at mile 99 (John Medinger photo)