Meltzer Wins Run Rabbit Run 100
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, September 15. Karl Meltzer of Sandy, Utah won the Run Rabbit Run 100, the 31st 100-mile victory of his illustrious career. Meltzer, who was in fourth place at mile 40, assumed the lead at about mile 70 and slowly pulled away from Dylan Bowman in the last thirty miles to win by 40 minutes. Western States champ Tim Olson was third.
Lizzy Hawker of Scuol, Switzerland won the women's race in 22:07 nearly two hours ahead of Rhonda Claridge of Ophir, Colorado.
The inaugural race featured $40,000 of prize money, with $10,000 to each winner. Meltzer also received an extra $1000 as first masters finisher. Runners experienced mostly sunny skies, with temperatures as warm as the mid-70s in the afternoon. But temperatures plunged to well below freezing at the upper elevations during the night. The Steamboat Springs finish is at about 6700 feet elevation, but the some of the course is as high as 10,000 feet.
1. Karl Meltzer, 44, Sandy, UT, 19:16:02
2. Dylan Bowman, 26, Aspen, CO, 19:56:45
3. Timothy Olson, 29, Ashland, OR, 20:28:58
4. Duncan Callahan, 29, Gunnison, CO, 22:36:37
5. Dave James, 34, Scottsdale, AZ, 24:10:00
1. Lizzy Hawker, 35, Scuol, Switzerland, 22:07:07
2. Rhonda Claridge, 45, Ophir, CO, 24:05:32
3. Leila Degrave, 34, Evergreen, CO, 24:41:50
4. Salynda Fleury, 27, Evergreen, CO, 29:42:07
In the accompanying "Tortoise Race" where non-elites traversed the same course, 48 runners completed the race.
In the 50-mile run, Cameron Clayton of Boulder, Colorado won handily with Zeke Tiernan second. Pam Smith of Salem, Oregon won the women's race in a tight battle with Kerrie Bruxvoort. There were 133 finishers in the 50 miler.
1. Cameron Clayton, 24, Boulder, CO, 7:09:04
2. Zeke Tiernan, 37, Basalt, CO, 7:48:40
3. Aaron Heidt, 36, Vernon, BC, 8:17:00
4. Jesse Haynes, 39, Capistrano Beach, CA, 8:22:00
5. Bill Goldsmith, 39, Steamboat Springs, CO, 8:53:00
1. Pam Smith, 37, Salem, OR, 8:40:50
2. Kerrie Bruxvoort, 36, Broomfield, CO, 8:47:53
3. Silke Koester, 28, Boulder, CO, 9:09:28
4. Julie Olsen, 30, Lafayette, CO, 9:21:31
5. Shannon Schwab, 35, Silverthorne, CO, 10:06:53
The event is part of the Montrail Ultra Cup series, with automatic spots at the 2013 Western States 100 to the first two men and women finishers at both distances.
Photo above left: Karl Meltzer approaches the finish line in front of a Speedgoat Karl Coffee banner. (photo by irunfar.com)