Mike Morton Wins Badwater
Lone Pine, California, July 17. Mike Morton of Lithia, Florida won the 25th annual Badwater 135, missing Valmir Nunes' course record by just over a minute. Taking advantage of relatively cool conditions - temperatures peaked at 109F, about 10 degrees cooler than average - Morton led throughout the event. Defending champion Oswaldo Lopez was second, 40 minutes back, posting the fourth fastest time in race history.
Sumie Inagaki of Japan, the world record holder for 48 hours, won the women's race, pulling clear of the field in the early stages and leading throughout.
Arthur Webb of Santa Rosa, California ran a stunning 33:45:40 at age 70, a personal best by more than 3 hours in his 12th consecutive finish. Of the 96 starters, 89 completed the course within the 48-hour time limit.
1. Mike Morton, 40, Lithia, FL, 22:52:55
2. Oswaldo Lopez, 40, Madera, CA, 23:32:28
3. Zach Gingerich, 32, Tigard, OR, 25:49:40
4. Harvey Sweetland Lewis III, 36, Cincinnati, OH, 26:15:31
5. Mark Matyazic, 47, Irvine, CA, 26:24:42
1. Sumie Inagaki, 46, Kasugai, Japan, 29:53:09
2. Pam Reed, 51, Jackson, WY, 31:06:43
3. Maggie Beach, 41, La Crescenta, CA, 33:31:04
4. Hannah Roberts, 25, Honolulu, HI, 34:26:35
5. Heidi Perry, 41, Lacey, WA, 35:49:58
Photo by Ian Corless, courtesy TalkUltra