Oregonians Win at Angeles Crest 100
Pasadena, California, September 14. Hal Koerner of Ashland, Oregon won the 21st annual Angeles Crest 100-Mile Endurance Run, which finished here today. Koerner, who also won here in 2006, ran with
three-time winner Jorge Pacheco of Los Angeles for much of the first 40 miles before forging a small lead. By Chilao, at mile 52.8, Koerner had established a 15-minute lead, and slowly extended that over the
next several checkpoints. Pacheco dropped out at Chantry Flats, mile 74.9. Troy Howard of Walnut Creek, California finished second, and Justin Angle of Seattle was third. Koerner's time was the second fastest
ever recorded, behind only Jim O'Brien's 1989 course record 17:35:48.
Prudence L'Heureux of Bend, Oregon was the women's winner. She took the lead by Islip Saddle (mile 25.9) and led the rest of the way. Ashley Nordell of nearby Mt. Baldy, California was second. L'Heureux's time
is only 13 minutes outside Suzanna Bon's 2007 course record and is the third fastest women's performance in race history.
The 100.53-mile-long race starts in the high desert town of Wrightwood and follow rugged hiking trails across the San Gabriel Mountains, finishing in Pasadena. There is a cumulative 21,000 vertical feet of climbing
and 26,000 vertical feet of descent. The highest point on the course is Mt. Baden-Powell at 9399 feet above sea level.
1. Hal Koerner, 32, Ashland, OR, 18:29:26
2. Troy Howard, 35, Walnut Creek, CA, 19:25:04
3. Justin Angle, 34, Seattle, WA, 20:08:03
4. Osbaldo Nava Lopez, 36, Madera, CA, 20:39:50
5. Rod Bien, 46, Bend, OR, 21:14:16
1. Prudence L'Heureux, 38, Bend, OR, 22:13:10
2. Ashley Nordell, 28, Mt. Baldy, CA, 22:55:45
3. Jannifer Heiner, 29, Pasadena, CA, 26:46:07
4. Tamara Johnson, 43, Pleasant Hill, CA, 28:28:28
5. Linda Dewees, 51, Inyokern, CA, 29:10:09
Complete results are available at http://ac100.com/finish/includes/15.shtml (note: starting time was 5:00 a.m.)