Roes, Greenwood Win at Chuckanut
Bellingham, Washington, March 19. Geoff Roes and Ellie Greenwood were winners at the 19th annual Chuckanut 50K held here today. Roes passed early leader Michael Smith at the 22-mile mark and pulled away for the win, setting a new course record in the process. Smith and Erik Skaggs, who finished third, were also under the old record.
Greenwood, the defending world 100K road champion, led wire to wire for a commanding victory over a deep women's field. Greenwood, who was second here last year to Susannah Beck, broke Beck's course record in the win. Excellent racing weather prevailed, dry with temperatures in the high 40s throughout the race. There were 289 finishers.
1. Geoff Roes, 34, Nederland, CO, 3:41:51 (new course record, old record 3:49:39 by Andy Martin, 2010)
2. Michael Smith, 30, Flagstaff, AZ, 3:45:21
3. Erik Skaggs, 28, Ashland, OR, 3:48:15
4. Aaron Heidt, 35, Vernon, BC, 3:50:06
5. Timothy Olson, 27, Ashland, OR, 3:50:57
1. Ellie Greenwood, 32, Banff, AB, 4:12:21 (new course record, old record 4:19:33 by Susannah Beck, 2010)
2. Jenn Shelton, 27, Ashland, OR, 4:33:04
3. Darcy Africa, 36, Boulder, CO, 4:41:18
4. Shawna Tompkins, 38, Mt Vernon, WA, 4:48:39
5. Amy Sproston, 37, Portland, OR, 4:52:38
Photos at left: Geoff Roes at the 2010 Western States 100 (Luis Escobar photo)
Ellie Greenwood at last year's Chuckanut 50K (Glenn Tachiyama photo)