Roes Wins UROC as Wardian Misses Turn
Charlottesville, Virginia, September 24. Geoff Roes and Ragan Petrie were the winners of the inaugural TrailRunner Ultra Race of Champions 100K. Roes assumed the lead when leader Michael Wardian missed a turn after the 48.5 mile aid station. Wardian and Dave Mackey led through the first half of the race and then Mackey dropped back. At mile 48.5 Wardian, fresh off his second place finish at the World 100K Championships, had a 16-minute lead over Roes and appeared ready to cruise to victory. But he missed a turn at an intersection that one observer described as "marked, but confusing" and lost about 40 minutes. Despite the wrong turn, Wardian rallied to finish second.
Petrie beat Devon Crosby-Helms and Anne Riddle Lundblad for the win. There were 79 finishers.
1. Geoff Roes, 35, Nederland, CO, 8:58:04
2. Michael Wardian, 37, Arlington, VA, 9:20:01
3. Matt Flaherty, 26, Springfield, IL, 9:22:42
4. Ian Sharman, 31, Bend, OR, 9:23:46
5. Jonathan Allen, 32, Greenville, SC, 9:26:33
1. Ragan Petrie, 45, Arlington, VA, 10:11:05
2. Devon Crosby-Helms, 29, San Francisco, CA, 10:25:50
3. Anne Riddle Lundblad, 44, Swannanoa, NC, 11:01:44
4. Stephanie Case, 29, New York, NY, 12:46:54
5. Krystle Martinez, 25, West Palm Beach, FL, 14:02:43
Photos: left, Geoff Roes (Glenn Tachiyama photo). At right, Ragan Petrie (courtesy George Mason University).