Spain's Heras, New Zealand's Frost Win at The North Face 50
Sausalito, California, December 4. Miguel Heras from Spain overtook Geoff Roes in the last five miles to win The North Face Endurance Challenge 50 Mile Run in the Marin Headlands. Roes and Dakota Jones led for much of the way, with Heras in fourth place about two minutes back at mile 40. But Heras put on an impressive finish to run down Roes, the defending North American ultra runner of the year.
Anna Frost, a New Zealand native currently living in Wales, was the women's winner, besting Britain's Lizzy Hawker and Oregon's Kami Semick.
1. Miguel Heras, 35, Salamanca, Spain, 6:47:03
2. Geoff Roes, 34, Nederland, CO, 6:51:25
3. Dave Mackey, 40, American Canyon, CA, 6:55:50
4. Dakota Jones, 19, Durango, CO, 7:01:55
5. Jason Schlarb, 32, Boulder, CO, 7:06:50
1. Anna Frost, 29, Dunedin, New Zealand, 7:45:03
2. Lizzy Hawker, 34, Scuol, Great Britain, 7:58:22
3. Kami Semick, 44, Bend, OR, 8:01:05
4. Joelle Vaught, 35, Boise, ID, 8:22:28
5. Jenn Shelton, 26, Ashland, OR, 8:28:24
Photo at left: Miguel Heras at the Cavalls del Vent in September (photo courtesy bichillorunner.com)