Wardian Wins Caumsett for Third Straight Year
Lloyd Neck, New York, March 7. Michael Wardian of Arlington, Virginia won the USATF 50km Championship for the third straight year at the Caumsett Park 50K. Wardian's winning time of 2:55:50 was 45 seconds slower than his 2008 course record. Wardian held a very steady pace at 5:30 per mile for the first 25 miles, hitting the marathon mark in about 2:25, before slowing a bit over the last 10km. Malcolm Campbell of Marietta, Georgia was second, also averaging less than 6 minutes per mile.
Yolando Flamino of Hancock, New Hampshire was the women's winner, besting Annette Bednosky of Jefferson, North Carolina by nine minutes. The race was held under ideal conditions, with abundant sunshine and temperatures in the upper 40s.
1. Michael Wardian, 35, Arlington, VA, 2:55:50
2. Malcolm Campbell, 39, Marietta, GA, 3:04:23
3. Scott Jaime, 40, Highlands Ranch, CO, 3:13:25
4. Daniel Verrington, 47, Bradford, MA, 3:15:14
5. Ben Nephew, 34, Mansfield, MA, 3:18:24
1. Yolanda Flamino, 33, Hancock, NH, 3:34:26
2. Annette Bednosky, 43, Jefferson, NC, 3:43:48
3. Jill Perry, 39, Manlius, NY, 3:47:59
4. Dierdre Brill, 32, Brooklyn, NY, 3:53:24
5. Beth Moras, 51, Ridgewood, NJ, 4:07:37